American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: re: American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:47 am

Rossco wrote:Man, i cant believe this, ive got it down to just over AU$1200. I wouldnt have thought that i could do much for that! any one of my parts acounts is sitting at about that now! if not more.
Damn, Rossco, you MUST come. As I told Larry, history is being made. This is the first ever World Convention of Pulsejet Madmen -- not a thing to be missed without terrible regrets.

See if you can bring Gary Robinson, too. I want to marry him if he'll divorce his present wife. Hell, no, why complicate -- I'll even take bigamy. We can pop over to Las Vegas in the lull of the pulsejet activities and do it.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:01 am

Larry Cottrill wrote:I was unaware of a new re-make. So, I thought you were referring to the old 50s version.
No, a big-money new version is about to come out. I’m looking forward to it with some trepidation. Remakes of successful films rarely satisfy anyone.
Larry Cottrill wrote:I thought you were joking by means of exaggeration about how long it takes to get Hollywood films to show up in Zagreb.
No, we get the new titles very quickly. The biggest ones have even started to appear simultaneously. (The distributors and the rights owners are battling counterfeiters in this way, denying them the chance to snap a copy in the US and distribute pirate copies elsewhere. If the film is already in the theaters, people will not pay much for a pirated disk.)
Larry Cottrill wrote:My idea of 'modern film' encompasses things like Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey and of course, the wonderful dark comedy Brazil.
Oh, boy. You have missed much. You have also avoided a lot of crap, but there’s no denying the achievement of a great number of grand movies of the past 20 years. As for a career in movies… I don’t think I’d like to have anything to do with movies. I have though about it and there is absolutely nothing about moviemaking that attracts me, with the sole exception of animation. I’d love to be involve in animated movies. They are the future anyway. Robert Heinlein predicted the disappearance of conventional moviemaking and its replacement with CGI back in 1965 or so. Well, his prophecy is coming very close to reality these days. It won’t be long before we have the first real CGI superstar.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:06 am

Ben wrote:I wish there were more people still playing with valves. Bruno, after years of preaching you converted almost the entire forum.
Your Honor, I plead guilty as charged. But, I did it with clear conscience and for a good cause and I am ready to face judgment.

(I am also considering valves in one of my upcoming concepts. Big, heavy piston-engine-style steel valves with coil springs and everything. they make sense under certain circumstances.)

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:30 pm

Ben wrote:Still playing with propane powered ones?
No, that was a knife slide. I still think it's a neat way to do it. It's a very long shot of a completely different kind. We'll see if anything comes out of that.

Waht I have recently come up with is a valveless with valves. A Reynst. It's got a small poppet valve -- like a decompressor. Guess what purpose it serves.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:42 am

Ben wrote:
Bruno Ogorelec wrote:Guess what purpose it serves.
Ah, then you could consider the original Reynst a valved engine of sorts, since there was some sort of valve to keep the intake below atmospheric.
No, it might help with a very banal problem that afflicts single-orifice chambers -- the difficulty of getting it filled with the charge on start up and the difficulty of getting the remaining combustion products purged out before restart. If you had a decompressor valve, you could have a dedicated airing port in the chamber. Doesn't make sense for an engine you use just for tinkering, but it would be needed in any real-life application. The good point is that decompressor valve assemblies are available off the shelf in motor cycle parts stores.

Sorry for going off topic.

Gary Robinson

re: American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Post by Gary Robinson » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:39 am

Hi all, heres the news in a nutshell format,
1) I was sacked today for not working to a lower standard that was expected and for questioning nepotism in the workplace. (I have a job lined up now with a fire protection company :-) )
2) All this news of visiting the US is a real blast, Rossco yohoo'd me with the msg today. We havent sold our house down south yet due to the fact the tenants had a lease of 6 months which has only just expired. If we had been able to sell it earlier I would jump at the chance to take the wife and kids on a holiday.
3) a lot of my PJ gear is 14 hours away in other houses shed. Since being at new location I have been working on the Queens Ecrevisse plans which some true gentleman sent me long ago, all but the square to round transtions are made, I am having trouble doing them in CAD to send to Autodesk inventor to make an 'unfold'. eg, I can do 50mm round to 50 mm sq, but not 46mm round to 35mm sq, help please or direct me to a link someone, pls.
4)Bruno, no chance of me divorcing my wife to join you, she is my soulmate, take us as a pair or go without.

I really envy all the guys that will get to go to PJ1 meet, but also frown on myself for being unwealthy enuff to come, if you all wanna postpone it for a few months I can make it lol. My wife has her own reasons for wanting to visit the US, and it would be a super-duper treat we may get to do once only in our life, and I couldnt think of a more interesting captivating reason (excuse) than this.

Also, Bruno, pls email me at lattice@dodo.com.au I am sure the email addy I have for you is an old one no longer working.

I have much reading to do in the forum to catch up, I dont know why I ever bothered wasting my time working and not keeping up with the goss here. Seems loyalty and hard work amounts to shite when nepotism is the preciding rule in a govt. dept.
"If it dont glow, it dont go."

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:22 am

Well, I hope the posting from Gary was enough to explain to everyone why I want to marry him. Gary, if your wife is your soulmate, I'll take her; no questions asked.
Gary Robinson wrote:I have a job lined up now with a fire protection company :-) )
Well, great but slightly funny, too. Do they know you actually _like_ playing with fire?
Gary Robinson wrote:Bruno, pls email me at lattice@dodo.com.au I am sure the email addy I have for you is an old one no longer working.
I will, Gary. In the meantime, since this pesky php thing won’t display my e-mail address, here’s two of them for anyone else who wants to write. I have no fear of public display of my address. Go on, spamming bastards, make my day:

bruno.ogorelec@gmail.com

and

terna@zg.htnet.hr

Both are good. The second one is in a constantly open window and plays immediate alerts, so it’s good for urgent stuff, but I also check my gmail account at least for or five times a day.
Gary Robinson wrote:I have much reading to do in the forum to catch up, I dont know why I ever bothered wasting my time working and not keeping up with the goss here.
Ha-ha-ha… well, we all make mistakes. I have tried to keep at least the spirit of your presence alive by posting a picture of one of the Unicones you built or of that Big Black Beast from time to time.

BTW. This forum has come a long way since. You’ll see. Today, the Beast would be made to work.

I sincerely regret that you would not be coming. But, maybe we all like it so much that the meet becomes a scheduled event.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:53 pm

I have a line on a huge ranch in the Lompoc/Santa Inez area, the heart of wine tasting country here in Santa Barbara County.

Bill, please turn up the heat (pun intended) on Avinal for a yes or no as soon as possible.

Never fear, I will have an alternate site for sure by early next week!

Chris makes a good point to me off-line that he, Bill and I should caucus soon on what all we will bring, as local hosts. He is also printing up some t-shirts for the "2005 International Pulse-Jet Meet". I'm going to raffle off a stainless Kazoo, I think.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

hinote

Post by hinote » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:32 pm

Mike Everman wrote:I have a line on a huge ranch in the Lompoc/Santa Inez area, the heart of wine tasting country here in Santa Barbara County.

Bill, please turn up the heat (pun intended) on Avinal for a yes or no as soon as possible.
We should have a "yay or nay" on Avenal, by the end of this weekend.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

resosys

Post by resosys » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:37 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Bill, please turn up the heat (pun intended) on Avinal for a yes or no as soon as possible.

Never fear, I will have an alternate site for sure by early next week!
Yes! I'd love to throw the site or area name on the shirt. It'll add character to it, or something...
Mike Everman wrote: Chris makes a good point to me off-line that he, Bill and I should caucus soon on what all we will bring, as local hosts. He is also printing up some t-shirts for the "2005 International Pulse-Jet Meet". I'm going to raffle off a stainless Kazoo, I think.
Caucus good.

On the shirts, I'd like to use some relevent line art, wireframe renders, or technical drawings. They'll be nice and simple, one color shirts, but should be very nice if I can realize my vision. I'd like to use relevant art to the engines/folks/tests that will be there, so if you have something, send it to me at cbrick@teslacoils.org (filesize is not an issue).

Also, if there is interest from folks that can't make it, I'll be happy to throw a paypal site up and ship off shirts to anyone that wants. They'll be cheap, plus shipping.

Chris

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:07 am

Ben wrote:I just bought my tickets, so I will be there. I'm coming on Friday and leaving on Wednesday. I may not have a job to come back to, but I should travel while I have the money to, right?
Ditto here. For 'job' insert 'business' but otherwise that's about it. Ben, I think you have punctured my hot air balloons more often than anyone else in the forum. I'm really looking forward to meeting you.
Ben wrote:Oh, and 45 posts to the 20000th.
Yes. Quite a community, aren't we?

mk

Post by mk » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:23 pm

Ben wrote:[...] I'm probably not as quick in person. I too am very much looking forward to this. Other than the fun meetings with Larry, I've never talked shop with anyone about pulsejets in real time. [...]
Ditto.
OK, maybe I talk rarely about pulse jets, but then in a very crude way, more as status reports. My grandfaher and my father are asking sometimes, though.

To the shirts:

I'd like a monochrome style of "1st International Pulse Jet Enthusiasts Meeting -- California April 30, 2005".
Some fine or maybe even grey lined technical drawings diagonal over a white shirt could be nice, too. But less is more, sometimes.
mk

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:01 pm

Gentleman, our time together will be all too brief and I personally want to gain as much knowledge from the event and the participants as possible. Assuming that we share similar goals, I propose that we start to do some more detailed planning for the PJ Meet on April 30th. Perhaps taking an inventory of our specialties, the materials we plan to bring and how we can each best contribute would be a place to start.

Much earlier in life I did some live sound reinforcement and recording. Mike if you need someone to help with recording tasks, I volunteer my services. However, should Graham make his way over for the meet, I strongly suggest that he do the honors.

If we stay with the camping plan I might also be able to help feed the troops. While I won’t vouch for the quality of my cooking, I can tell you that it has been good enough to make me a very well rounded individual. Coffee, bacon and eggs are a sure bet for breakfast, as well as anything that comes out of a can for other meals.

I can also ship out a few tools and miscellaneous items to help keep things running. Items such as small 12VDC to AC inverter (350+ watt) to run small equipment, charge camera batteries, etc comes to mind. If Mike and Bill think it is necessary, I can also ship out a couple of propane hookups, needle valves, a pressure gauge, miscellaneous fittings, etc…

We might also want to take an initial inventory of the engines we expect to have, the tests we want to run and the methodology we plan to use to collect and share the data obtained. Perhaps we start by breaking the engines and tests into relative classifications and move on from there.

I love the idea of having T-shirts for the event, please make mine XXL. Based on our relative nearness to Napa Valley it is also my assumption that refreshments will be easily obtained. After all, red wine does have medicinal value and we all want to live long and fruitful lives.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and to seeing you there.

Dave

hinote

Post by hinote » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:13 pm

Dave wrote: Based on our relative nearness to Napa Valley it is also my assumption that refreshments will be easily obtained. After all, red wine does have medicinal value and we all want to live long and fruitful lives.

Dave
Dave--I'll forgive you for not being more familiar with California. The "old" wine country of California has been increasingly replaced over the years. Gallo is still one of the biggest names, located in the San Joaquin valley.

Even more interesting is the Central Coast area, which includes Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and part of Monterey counties. In particular, the Paso Robles area in San Luis Obispo county is a hotbed of winegrape growing, and wineries. It's less than an hour away from Avenal--and has 40 or 50 wineries of various sizes. I'll bet you know some of the names.

Check out this URL:

http://www.pasowine.com/index.php?page=wineries/map

Even if we move the meet to Lompoc you'll have access to lots of really good local wine. It's cheap, too. It's fun to go to a different part of the country and see our local wines selling for twice the local price.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:09 pm

Dave wrote:Gentleman, our time together will be all too brief and I personally want to gain as much knowledge from the event and the participants as possible. Assuming that we share similar goals, I propose that we start to do some more detailed planning for the PJ Meet on April 30th. Perhaps taking an inventory of our specialties, the materials we plan to bring and how we can each best contribute would be a place to start.
Um… next question, please.

I am bringing myself. I will surely have a pencil and some paper. That's it for the equipment and materials.

My specialties…. Er… I talk a lot and rather loudly. Offhand, I can’t think of anything else that might be useful at a pulsejet meet. I know nothing about electrics and less than that about electronics. I can saw and file and cut. I have observed welding from a safe distance. I have many strong opinions on things I know something about and on things I know very little about.

I can be used as a stabilizing force or an anchor (216 lbs the last time I checked).
Dave wrote:I love the idea of having T-shirts for the event, please make mine XXL.
Ditto.
Dave wrote:Based on our relative nearness to Napa Valley it is also my assumption that refreshments will be easily obtained. After all, red wine does have medicinal value and we all want to live long and fruitful lives.
I am an earnest believer in equal rights and, while respecting the reds deeply, think that whites should also be given a chance. The problem is cooling them. Ditto for the beer. Has anyone turned his attention to the problem of cooling? After all, pulsejets are hot work.