American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

re: American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:41 pm

Your schedule sounds good, but the only for sure attendees are married. ;-)

I'm thinking:
Friday arrival at site and get camp set up. Between Bill and I, we should have all we need for cooking and such. I don't yet know what's nearby in the way of food or services. Bill?
Going to have to do some darkness engine runs that night, jam jars and drinking.

Saturday will be a freeforall, I don't know, I hope to have a pulse turbine bike for us to ride, and maybe Chris will have a locky go-cart(?) At least he was threatening to a long while ago...

Bill and I will both have thrust rigs and scales, and I'll have hi-fi sound recording and analysis, and all manner and size of engines, both running and those for the intrepid to attempt magic, if they are so inclined. I'll have acetylene if someone wants to try that on a small one.

Saturday will have Ben Edwards, a good friend and videographer of "that 70's show" and "yes, dear" for the day at least, so if you write a Haiku or limerick for the camera, you might make it into the documentary. ;-)

Sunday I hope for more of the same, and maybe monday too. There's an opportunity for quite a bit of runs, data taking and head scratching. It'll be nice to have several hands and minds!

I don't know how to handle waivers and insurance, I think it's best that there is no organizer, I'm just a messenger from the gods of pulsating combustion. they are ultijmately liable for any silliness. We'll always have fire extinguishers on hand, but someone should bring some good burn salve, and some incense that covers the smell of burning hair! ha ha

I truly wish Viv and Luc could be here, and Graham, and of course all of our dear contributors! Looks like we'll have Dave, Marten and Bruno from afar
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:55 pm

Mike -

It sounds like a blast and I wish I could be there to meet everyone, but really don't see any way I can do it. I would ship in a couple of small pipes in mailing tubes and even include postage-paid return shipping labels - you would just have to let me know the exact day that you could get them back to the local PO [because I have to declare the exact date they will be handed across the counter]. I'm going to try building the Tiger Shark and I'd send that [if it runs], and I have a new idea for a Fo Mi Chin rebuild that I think would be a nice one. Those should run all right on propane if somebody wants to mess with them for a few minutes. Something for somebody to do while everyone else is off making mods & repairs, wrapping burns, out buying more fuel, etc. If you think somebody might be up for that, just email me a valid shipping address and I'll get them to you by Priority Mail a few days before the event. You can just chuck them up in any nearby Steve-O-Mount to run them. For my little pipes, your vise doesn't even need to be bolted down to anything.

Anyway, I wish all participants well and hope you all have a wonderful time with it! For goodness' sake, whatever you do, get lots of pix and video!!!

L Cottrill

mk

Re: re: American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Post by mk » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:12 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:Marten, are you flying from Frankfurt on Delta? Maybe we can get the same flight. We could try to see if a beer can and vodka can make a jam jar at high altitude.
Yes, I'd fly from Frankfurt. But Delta is in comparison more expensive and features a stop. I rather planned flying with Lufthansa, nonstop. It's the cheapest one, a roundtrip being about EUR 430.00.

But: I'll know between tuesday and thursday next week whether I can come or not.
mk

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:54 pm

This is a picture of my mailbox this morning.
Just one more reason to go to California where there is sun, flame, noise and heat.
Dave
Attachments
P1000479.JPG
(707.58 KiB) Downloaded 568 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:31 pm

Or you could come to sunny Florida, a few days ago after a long night of impressive thunder and lightning, I awoke to a flooded yard.
14 inches of rain in ~24 hours! My weiner dog waded out up to his neck in the artificial lake on one side of my yard later that day, he seemed to like the water and the new perspective. My doormat floated away and water was within an inch from coming in my garage, not cool. One step away and it would have been in my house.
Mark
Attachments
050403131531.jpg
(216.48 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
Presentation is Everything

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:23 pm

OK, looks like I'll be coming after all. I am booked on a Lufthansa flight to Los Angeles via Frankfurt. Sorry guys -- San Diego may be OK for you, but it's markedly more expensive from Europe.

I'll bring paper and pencil with me. So, who else is going to be there? Who will be bringing engines?

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:34 pm

Yay Bruno!

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:34 pm

Yay Bruno!

resosys

Post by resosys » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:45 pm

Ok, then there is no way I can miss this. After all, Bruno, it was some of your writings that got me addicted to this damn mess.

Engines I plan to bring:

Two slightly different medium sized lockwoods
Triangle straight lockwood
Small lockwood that hates to start but then auto starts once hot
Any other engines I complete before then

I can bring more of the medium lockwoods if someone wants to strap a bunch to something or test multiple engine arrays... Let me know.

I'll probably bring a few other things out.

Oh the fun!

Chris

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:32 pm

resosys wrote:Ok, then there is no way I can miss this. After all, Bruno, it was some of your writings that got me addicted to this damn mess.
Jesus, guys, calm down; I'm just a fat middle-aged, slightly buffoonish spin doctor. In Shakesperean terms, think Falstaff. Each of you has done so much more than I did. I just talk a great deal. My greatest known skill (apart from the ability to sell hot air) is sharpening pencils with a knife and making neat little boxes out of sheet paper, like origami.

resosys

Post by resosys » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:05 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:Jesus, guys, calm down; I'm just a fat middle-aged, slightly buffoonish spin doctor. In Shakesperean terms, think Falstaff. Each of you has done so much more than I did. I just talk a great deal. My greatest known skill (apart from the ability to sell hot air) is sharpening pencils with a knife and making neat little boxes out of sheet paper, like origami.
Heh, I'm not trying to make it a huge deal. I just want to say hi and shake your hand. Hell, it's probably only 4 hours from me so if I were to miss it I'd be a damn fool. Plus, I haven't run any of my pulsejets in a while due to neighbors and us losing our facility, so it'll be nice to get some metal hot.

So, see you there!

Chris

hinote

Post by hinote » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:01 am

resosys wrote: I can bring more of the medium lockwoods if someone wants to strap a bunch to something or test multiple engine arrays... Let me know.

I'll probably bring a few other things out.
Chris--

I'm going to have a "rail" that is pre-drilled to mount to my new thrust stand.

We'll be able to clamp engines to the rail, with vise-grips or c-clamps or hose clamps (I'll bring lot of those too).

Slight changes in calibration will be accounted for, with the force gauge I'll be bringing.

Also, I'll have propane, to feed whatever engines you'll bring. Bring a small donation for the propane, and something that will slide over a piece of 5/16" tubing, and my propane setup will work, including throttles. If you bring a standard OPD barbecue tank, we can transfer your prop (with my hardware) into my non-OPD tank. Think better flow rate.

I'll also have a "universal" igniton system available--just have a spark plug screwed into the duct.

Looking forward to lots of pulsating company!

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by NanoSoft » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:17 am

Well everyone it looks as though i might be able to come afterall. My mom thinks that she will drive me down there friday night. I am still uncertain how long we will be down there. Any ways if i do come i will bring my chinese, lockwood, and if i finish in time my big turbo jet.

Nanosoft

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:34 am

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
resosys wrote:Ok, then there is no way I can miss this. After all, Bruno, it was some of your writings that got me addicted to this damn mess.
Jesus, guys, calm down; I'm just a fat middle-aged, slightly buffoonish spin doctor. In Shakesperean terms, think Falstaff. Each of you has done so much more than I did. I just talk a great deal. My greatest known skill (apart from the ability to sell hot air) is sharpening pencils with a knife and making neat little boxes out of sheet paper, like origami.
Damn. I wanted to bear your children!

All kidding aside, I'm serious when I say I hope someone's going to cover this in video and digital stills. Even rough cut stuff, I'd torrent it, edit and make available to anyone who wanted it.

Actually, it's the audio I'm going to covet. Can you imagine the sound. It'll be like Hells Angels rode into town with a thousand iron horsemen on Harleys.

ZSartell

Post by ZSartell » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:30 am

Ok, I'm getin real jealous. I've started to look at air fairs, but it's just not in my budget. You guys have to get A LOT of video and pictures. I'll help with the editing if need be...