What the?

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Tom
Antipspambot question: 0

re: What the?

Post by Tom » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:59 pm

Mark, i'm going to say the problem is either your PC or your connection. If it's time outs, I rarely get those, very rarely, and as for passwords, cookie settings could be to blame.

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:16 pm

Yes, Paul, welcome home. Looks like the attachments are back in good shape, so have a look around! Glad you made it there and back successfully and in good humor.

L Cottrill

Mark

Re: re: What the?

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:27 pm

Tom wrote:Mark, i'm going to say the problem is either your PC or your connection. If it's time outs, I rarely get those, very rarely, and as for passwords, cookie settings could be to blame.

Tom
Viv and Luc's site lets me dawdle when I compose my deep thoughts. But for this site I just don't know how to fix it. I think I set my computer to allow pulsejet cookies and it still didn't fix it. But yes, it is probably my computer that is the culprit. It seems to come and go these problems, very mysterious. I'm at work and it works fine here.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:07 pm

skyfrog wrote:Hi Paul,

Welcome back, so glad to hear from you again !

As to my turbine, the progress is still under control, though I have experienced some engineering changes which set back the date of completion. Now the status is nearing "mechanical completion", I wish I could fire it up by end of april, which goal is very optimistic at this moment.

BTW, I am proceeding a subproject to build a planetary gearbox for my turboprop engine by retrofitting some used gears. Very interesting subproject, right ?

Your truly,
Absolutely (re: gear box). Are you going to turn this into a turbo prop? Seems to be a lucrative market for drones, experimental aircraft and large models.
Post pics when you can. I'm amazed at your progress.

Hi Larry. I'm just reading through your online magazine now. Thanks for the welcome back.

Are you using Firefox Mark, or IE (which is crap in my opinion).

mk

Post by mk » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:18 pm

Mark, are you using W!ndows?

Explains s.th. I use it, too.
You'll have to live with some weird errors sometimes, e.g. lost sound or graphic drivers and a smashed registry still showing them. Or the other way round.
mk

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:55 am

Are you using Firefox Mark, or IE (which is crap in my opinion).[/quote]

If IE is Internet Explorer, yes. I have high speed access, except for Ken's site when I try to log in. ha
Mark

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:40 am

Thanks for the shout-out, Paul! I have been keeping well but the Great Steam Project is on hold at least until the snow clears. The engine is sort of ... outdoors ... right now. I took it all apart and it seems there are no piston rings! I hope that is not terrible. I have the steam line oiler and plenty of firewood so all I need now is a couple thousand feet of steel pipe and a skid or two of bricks and mortar to get it up and running, oh and the re-bar slab too. What the heck were you doing in Kuwait?
Trig IS fun.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:07 pm

Ben wrote:When I came back I adopted a new posting policy, the end result of which is that I read everything but say much less.
I wish I did that, too. How did you teach yourself restraint?

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:12 pm

Mike Kirney wrote:Thanks for the shout-out, Paul! I have been keeping well but the Great Steam Project is on hold at least until the snow clears. The engine is sort of ... outdoors ... right now. I took it all apart and it seems there are no piston rings! I hope that is not terrible. I have the steam line oiler and plenty of firewood so all I need now is a couple thousand feet of steel pipe and a skid or two of bricks and mortar to get it up and running, oh and the re-bar slab too. What the heck were you doing in Kuwait?
How does it seal the piston on compression without a ring? (I'm un edumacated when it comes to steam still).

Hope you're going to post a video of this when you get it working.

(I went backed and editied this. Sorry it's a bit vague)

I was working for an oil company, doing upgrade work on their (blade server) networks. I can't talk about specifics because of on-going security problems, but it was nice contract and the people were great.

Try using Firefox Mark. You'll be surprised how fast this will displace IE.

Hi Bruno. Nice to see you're here. Hope it's starting to look like spring where you are.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:29 pm

Paul Skinner wrote:Try using Firefox Mark. You'll be surprised how fast this will displace IE.

Hi Bruno. Nice to see you're here. Hope it's starting to look like spring where you are.
As salaam alaikum, Principal! Welcome back.

Yes, green is about to burst out from the ground and from the still brown branches any moment now. It all looks pent-up by the unusually long winter. When it does burst out, everything will probably be green in a matter of hours. I'm looking forward to it. Unlike Viv, I practice no winter sports.

As for IE -- I've been using it in all its incarnations since 1994 or so, for up to 20 hours a day. Never had much of a problem with it, or with any other MS program. I keep telling people -- approach the Microsoft stuff properly and it will work well. (I'm not saying other stuff isn't good, or even better. I'm saying that MS stuff is OK if you treat it right. Not many people do, from what I have seen.)

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:11 pm

Paul Skinner wrote:How does it seal the piston on compression without a ring? (I'm un edumacated when it comes to steam still).
I don't know. Perhaps I got burned :-( . BTW, I am using Firefox and loving it! Haven't had a pop-up in weeks.
Trig IS fun.

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:26 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
Paul Skinner wrote:Try using Firefox Mark. You'll be surprised how fast this will displace IE.

As salaam alaikum, Principal! Welcome back.

Yes, green is about to burst out from the ground and from the still brown branches any moment now. It all looks pent-up by the unusually long winter. When it does burst out, everything will probably be green in a matter of hours. I'm looking forward to it. Unlike Viv, I practice no winter sports.

As for IE -- I've been using it in all its incarnations since 1994 or so, for up to 20 hours a day. Never had much of a problem with it, or with any other MS program. I keep telling people -- approach the Microsoft stuff properly and it will work well. (I'm not saying other stuff isn't good, or even better. I'm saying that MS stuff is OK if you treat it right. Not many people do, from what I have seen.)
Shukran Bruno, Kaif halak?.

Yah, I felt that way about IE, but you've really got to give Firefox a try. Nice little program, and it seems to have the plugged the security concerns IE suffered from.
I wonder when Longhorn with be RTM?

Hi Mike. To bad one of our member wasn't into steam trains. There's probably a yahoo group that specializes in this kind of knowledge though. I'm curious because I was thinking of buying a (small) steam engine myself (for experimentation).

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:52 pm

I've noticed that certain times of the day the problem is more likely to occur. What do you make of that? Time-out time is strange. I'll just keep harping that it has never happened to me with Great White North VivLuc site.
Mark

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:55 pm

Ben wrote:At the same time, if everybody did that, the forum would be completely dead...
Yeah. There's that... Without hot air this would be a barren place. My hot air alone supports maybe 25 percent of the structure. I envy your restraint.

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:21 pm

Paul Skinner wrote: Absolutely (re: gear box). Are you going to turn this into a turbo prop? Seems to be a lucrative market for drones, experimental aircraft and large models.
Post pics when you can. I'm amazed at your progress.
Yes, and how dare I am it is planned to be a twin spooled turbo prop :o) What I am going to do is, get the planetary gearbox ready, then pursue my twin spool engine afterwards.

I usually post pictures in my website, but OK I will post it at here as well, this will of course blow kenneth's website a little bit fatter if everybody doesn't mind.

Regards,
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle