microsoft sucks

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

pablo
Antipspambot question: 0

microsoft sucks

Post by pablo » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:04 am

thats it.

this pc always worked like s**t. (under DOS, windows)
now it works perfect under linux.

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:56 am

yeaa it does, im trying to get a new hard drive so i can have room for a linux dual boot!

Stephen

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:38 am

Well, guys, all I can say it that Microsoft has worked for me. I have been using its products (various version of the Windows OS and the Office package) professionally every day for the past 11 years and have never had any great reason to complain.

In contrast, I have had almost nothing but aggro from a number of other software companies, chiefly Adobe and Symantec. In the case of Adobe, I find it almost incredible that the freeware PDF converters almost invartiably work better on my system than the original Acrobat. I am currently using a free converter called 'pdf995' and it is completely trouble-free, which is far more than I could ever say about Acrobat.

Please note, I am not using my computers (a network of four) for fun (or, better to say, fun use constitutes perhaps 5 percent of their working time) but in everyday work on which my livelihood depends. My living is literally made on Microsoft software. My work is publishing and distribution of business newsletters and depends entirely on the Internet.

Every couple of years, I have to make a major decision on a software upgrade. This is always an opportunity to switch away from MS. I have never found reason to do so.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:33 pm

never did i think i would say this, but i am converting into brunos religion. When i was so anti-gates, i was working on a shared pc. Now, i have my own, and it is flawless on XP. i dont even have problems with adobe and symantec! Networking was done in 5 mins, and i had printed a test page from across the house within another 30 secs. My bad experiences with windows were due to the crap my family had bogged down the machine with. Whilst i am here, allow me to say something extra. As odd as it may seem, my 1ghz AMD system that I built, runs infinatley more smoothly then the 2.7ghz DELL system. Not sure if this is down to who built it, or the processor......or the fact i have fine tuned my maching using programs like X-Teq systems setup, but i am so happy now taht i can smile smugly when my family come to me for help when the dell wont work :o)

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:43 pm

Microsoft rocks. I've got a 16 computer network, countless periferals, two NT servers, and a Linux file server (nice way to go..) and two more computers at home.
It would be truly amazing if there weren't the occasional frustration for my IT guy, and me, but we're all very happy with it. My main computer is a Toshiba tablet with a big monitor at my desk, and XP is pretty flawless. I actually use the voice and handwriting recognition which are phenominal. Sketching with Windows Journal makes me damn near paperless.
People love to hate Gates. Can't blame you there, but they've really got it pretty down now. If I could do the engineering work I do on a Mac, things might have been different, it is pretty cool, but I'd still be an excel fanatic, and I'd have to emulate a PC to run Solidworks.
Linux on your desk is for tinkerers that will exchange some effort for damn near free software. When you have more money than time (NOT saying we're rolling in it!), it would be silly to base your livelyhood on it. I'm not that brave.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mike Kirney

Go Ahead And Blame Your Family

Post by Mike Kirney » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:57 pm

Yeah Thomas, its your family that is causing all your problems. My family caused me a lot of grief too, that's why I moved out to the country to live alone in a cottage with a dog. I like the internet because it allows me to socialize without actually having to visit anybody, or have anybody visit me. Nice and remote, just how I like it. I don't need a lot of intimacy, just a little respect, that's all. I've always got good service from my Windows OSes. I liked 3.11 and 95, and 98 was okay too, and Me is just fantastic. XP was a real bugger for me, but that could be because I downloaded it from Kazaa instead of buying it off the shelf. Linux was fun but I had to spend hours tweaking my machine to get all my PCI cards to work whereas Windows Me just installed everything for me while I smoked a big hoolie and clicked "Okay". All my bootleg software works great too - Adobe, Audiograbber, you name it, it all works great. I don't run any anti-virus stuff because I am familiar enough with my directories to seek and destroy any files that seem to be causing me trouble. I re-blast every few months too so that takes care of any lingering afflictions.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:17 pm

linux is a charm too
i have a 40gb linux disk on my xp machine,and the firs time i used it it was already connected to my network, which is windows. just opend up mozilla and went from there. no hassles with the pci cards, all working perfectly.
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Peter Hanely

insidious M$

Post by Peter Hanely » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:47 pm

http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

I, for one, value the freedom I have with linux/open source.

pablo

Post by pablo » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:19 pm

the only problem I have is not being able to run win programs, but fortunately the 'windows emulator' of linux works really good, this is why this pc doesnt have win.

Pablo

pablo

Post by pablo » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:24 pm

and one more thing, almost no viruses!

Andrew Parker

Post by Andrew Parker » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:35 pm

I think that my disgust for microsoft is driven by years of frustration and disappointment with the crap that Bill Gates has served up. These feelings are not reserved for only MS, but for the PC environment in general. When I was finally forced to switch over to MSDOS and Windows, I was shocked at the high prices and low quality of the software. Perhaps this was driven by thousands of purchasers who didn't know beans about computers and software.

It may well be that MS is stable if you only use MS software. This is fine if MS software meets your needs, but it doesn't meet mine. Why must I risk an unstable operating system if I happen to choose another software label that holds a legal license to develop for the MS operating system?

I think that the surge in Linux use is driven by market demand for a stable, secure environment that MS does not offer. Bill Gates does not fear a few million tight fisted computer geeks, what he fears is losing large corporate and institutional accounts. His response to this recent challenge has been typical. Rather than cleaning up his product, he is attempting to restrict the market by making a whore of SCO by paying their legal fees in their lawsuit against IBM. He doesn't need to win the lawsuit, he simply needs to create an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty for those who must commit millions of dollars for their IT systems.

Andrew Parker

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:15 pm

the slowness, takes me a good minute to boot up, i no somoene with a computer close to the same as ours and he boots up in 28 seconds with linux! Linux is a multy tasking OS, and can handel more the 3 things at a time, without slowing it down!!
all i need now is the money to get another hard drive!

Stephen
ps. now i have XP microsoft hasnt been that bad, but still slooooooooow!

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:25 pm

Well i am sitting here on my Apple Mac reading all this about Microsoft.

Its not that they are the dark side and the evil empire, that would be too easy, I think they just plain don't try hard to do their best.

And why should they? untill now they had it all their own way, but know we have Linux (very good) and we also have the Mac platform on the Unix BSD platform.

Now they have to worry, now they have some competition, and that can only be a good thing.

We can only be better off now that they have to compete and the mono culture market place is disapering.

Apple in particular is picking up a lot of new market share, the third fastest cluster in the world is built using Apple G5s

I just think Microsoft software is clunky ugly and just plain not nice to use, the only good thing is they copy Apple so at least it gets better as we go along:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:32 am

Viv wrote: I just think Microsoft software is clunky ugly and just plain not nice to use, the only good thing is they copy Apple so at least it gets better as we go along:-)

Viv
i agree with the clunky thing. Microsoft ofice, about 90% or people using it only use 10% of its features! theres sooo much stuff people dont use which slows ya down HEAPS!

Stephen

Psignorian

Post by Psignorian » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:56 pm

People keep saying how great linux is. Well, I believe differently. In the space of sixty, I watched my friend break linux and have to fix things about five times. Maybe they work just fine if you're leaving them -alone-, letting them run whatever software you've managed to install, but try to tinker with them if you don't know -precisely- what to do...and of course, the same friend was also using his WinXP computer to find how to fix the linux machine. Twas actually kinda sad.
"Ow! It's hot!" "Just get away from it, it's dangerous until it cools." "I hope she doesn't notice what it did to her plants..."