Something That Might Sell

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Something That Might Sell

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:24 pm

All right, gentlemen - go back a page and check it out now and let me know what you think.

L Cottrill

mk

Post by mk » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:32 pm

Larry,
I still have a bigger size of this picture. Shall I email it to you?

I'll include the forums url and the engines "names", too, if you'd like to.

I also would like a calendar a lot, but nice posters are also OK.

Bruno,
"Wagnis Krause" ( - part 3) is a band of my friends. Really nice and well played rock music (all instruments are played well, not only the guitar or the drums as usual...). Check out the downloads in the "media" section...

Perhaps an english description could be added to the bands site...I'll tell them.
I'll ad a description to the signature.
mk

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:24 pm

mk wrote:Larry,
I still have a bigger size of this picture. Shall I email it to you?

I'll include the forums url and the engines "names", too, if you'd like to.
Go ahead and send it. Yes, add the URL. You can add engine descriptions, too - but I would keep them small, close to the picture they go with, and far away from your main text. Or you can just write them in your email and let me decide how to do them.

I'll eventually do a 'sales page' [mini catalog page] of all the posters in the series, and include yours.

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:33 pm

pezman wrote:I think I'd like to buy one, though I didn't notice the price.

Also, it would be cool if there was an option for folks ordering the calendar to kick in a few extra bucks for the forum. I want to support the forum, but I just don't trust PayPal (irrational maybe) and getting an international money order or whatever fro a nominal amount seems like a hassle. But tossing a few extra bucks into a calendar order seems very convenient. The pooled contriibutions could then be easily transferred from Larry's company to www.pulse-jets.com, assuming both parties are willing.
All right -- I will do better than that: I will contribute one dollar US from every poster sold to Kenneth for support of the forum - as well as advertising the forum URL on each poster.

It turns out the largest size I can afford to run in limited quantities is 11x17 inches. Big posters would cost me $6 or more PER SQUARE FOOT, unless I could do big production runs! So it's going to be 11x17 'mini posters' - I haven't researched calendar pricing yet.

What does everybody think I can charge for a mini poster? I'm hoping not less that 7 or 8 dollars, plus shipping, considering the relatively high quality I can get. Remember, I want to ship with tracking, so I can verify delivery.

L Cottrill

hinote

Post by hinote » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:43 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote:All right, gentlemen - go back a page and check it out now and let me know what you think.

L Cottrill
I like it very much.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:15 pm

Those look great, Larry. Selling those small posters one a time would be rather difficult I think. Throw in the "What every man wants..." one and sell them 3 for $17 or maybe $20 on E-Bay. I think they would move pretty quick like that. I would buy a deal like that. Christmas is coming so you want to get them out on the market PDQ. Good luck!
Trig IS fun.

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:35 pm

Pezman, Paypal is very safe and it is probably the best way to make online payments of any sort. It is certainly the cheapest, quickest, and easiest method to transact business worldwide in many different currencies. An alternate method that is a bit more expensive and inconvenient for buyers is Bidpay:

http://www.bidpay.com

Larry, may I recommend you open an online merchant account with Bidpay. I'm pretty sure it costs nothing to register with them. Basically, the buyer charges a Western Union money order to their credit card and then WU mails it to you, at an extra cost to the buyer of around $4 to $12 depending on whether they send it regular mail or overnight service.
Trig IS fun.

steve

Re: Got Some Printed!

Post by steve » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:05 am

Larry Cottrill wrote:NOTE TO STEVE: Send me a private email with your mailing address [yes, I lost track of it again], and I'll ship you the first one - my compliments. Then, you can write your review for the forum!
You are just too good to me Larry
;-)

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:35 pm

Guys, this one is still one of the most beautiful pulsejet pictures I have seen...
Attachments
hot.JPG
hot.JPG (7.08 KiB) Viewed 11986 times

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:39 pm

And this is (I think) the same engine, already posterized.
Attachments
i-2_b.jpg
i-2_b.jpg (9.94 KiB) Viewed 11980 times

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:14 am

Bruno -

Yes, that's beautiful. It does me no good, though, unless the designer [who presumably owns rights to the pictures] partners with me by giving me permission to use them.

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Re: Got Some Printed!

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:58 am

steve wrote:
Larry Cottrill wrote:NOTE TO STEVE: Send me a private email with your mailing address [yes, I lost track of it again], and I'll ship you the first one - my compliments. Then, you can write your review for the forum!
You are just too good to me Larry
;-)
Steve -

Don't heap on the thanks until you've netted your first thousand! There's still a lot that could go south on this.

The best reassurance I can give everyone on this deal is that at least I haven't asked anybody to throw money into it. If we end up making anything, it will all be gravy ;-)

What would absolutely kill me is if we somehow end up with hundreds of orders per week. It would be a personal disaster :-o

Thanks,

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Marten's Poster

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:10 pm

When Marten sent me his file, he gave me a lot of license to change things around. So, I tried to make the poster consistent with the design of others in the series while keeping his layout basically intact.

Marten -

I changed the use of ellipses [ ... ] a little bit, and removed the verb 'are' from after the first ellipsis, to give the statement more punch. I standardized the copyright notice form to be consistent with the first two posters. I hope you like the end result! Note that your very fine-lined text doesn't show up well in the sample. I'll try to remember to send you a full-size version of the file tonight so you can see what it really looks like, but DON'T POST IT - we want to sell them, not give them away! I'll need to work out a clearer sample for my sales page.

L Cottrill

EDIT: I have replaced the sample with a slightly larger and MUCH clearer version.
Attachments
Marten_KPT_poster_sample.jpg
Sample of Marten's poster - this is a little clearer sample than before. Copyright 2004 Larry Cottrill
Marten_KPT_poster_sample.jpg (111.31 KiB) Viewed 11903 times

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by NanoSoft » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:40 am

Well, It’s looking good guys. I've had no time to check the forum for a while and its taken me a while to catch up but I think this is a good idea.

I made this picture in a couple minutes using Photoshop. It still needs work. Tell me what you think.

Nanosoft

PS. Click on image to enlarge. It looks much better when enlarged.
Attachments
1.jpg
Nanosoft's lockwood hiller poster
(400.89 KiB) Downloaded 431 times

mk

Post by mk » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:32 pm

Larry,
The result is more than acceptable to me! Looks really nice!
Of course I won't post the large image...

PhotoShop is in my opinion one of the most useful programs. A lot of more or less hidden possibilities for designing wallpapers, posters, etc.
mk