Flames and tubes

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Tom
Antipspambot question: 0

Flames and tubes

Post by Tom » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:51 am

hey all,
i was in my grage playing around with some surgical spirit and about 40 cm of the thick cardboard tube they wrap carpet around in the stores. I lit some methanol in a cashew nut tin, and wiated until i had a nice blueish, slightly white flame, before holding the tube over the tin. after getting about 30 seconds of steam locomotive-ish phwomphing, i placed the tube down, as it was beginning to burn inside, and about 10 second after if fell, leaning on a plant pot, it started spewing out flames longer then the tube itself. after putting the flames out by starving them of O2, i started experimenting. tilting the tube slightly , by about 10-20 drgrees off vertical, any little embers started sucing in air from the bottom of the tube, where a slight gap was created by the tilting, and within 10 seconds or less, the tube was back to spewing out flames. after drenching the thing, i was able to see that the burning was only taking place near or at the bottom, the rest of the tube was unnaffected by the furnace like flame. now that is fun. i really need to get some O2 tanks, then the fun starts :D

T.
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:52 am

coooooool

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:54 am

coooooool