MOAB

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

MOAB

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:02 am

Second test of a 21,700-pound bomb to go bang soon. "Bomb creates a mist of ammonium nitrate and powdered aluminum, which ignites, producing a highly destructive blast." They are dropping it out of a MC-130 E Combat Talon I transport plane, from the rear cargo door.
Ought to be exciting if you live near the base about an hour from here. It's suppose to make a mushroom cloud too.
With all that aluminum, (burns white hot) it should be a good one. I use to light ammonium nitrate and micron sized aluminum powder with a propane torch and it would flash a white flash and then go out, not all of the pile burns unless you keep reigniting it. The torch flame kind of melts the nitrate and then the frothy puddle will sometimes strobe you with blinding flashes, again the flame constantly on the prilled nitrate and aluminum. It wants to burn, but it's funny, kind of like thermite, the heat must be hot to get/keep it going. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't recommend this experiment, even though the nitrate isn't confined. A curious effect to be sure.
Mark

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:30 pm

Sounds cool! you going to get pictures Mark? as a PS are they still playing with the volatile fuel/air bombs or is the MOAB replacing that one.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:24 am

Viv wrote:Sounds cool! you going to get pictures Mark? as a PS are they still playing with the volatile fuel/air bombs or is the MOAB replacing that one.

Viv
I really don't know too much about their methodology. I'm no bomb expert, but it seems kind of quirky. It might be interesting to ride in the plane though.
Mark

Viv

Post by Viv » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:57 pm

Oh no it broke!

http://www.spacewar.com/2003/031120210740.0138ifp5.html

Just kidding it was the test kit failed so they had to scrub the test.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:42 pm

bugga.. i was looking foward to that! sounds impressive!

Stephen

Mike Kirney
Antipspambot question: 0

MOAB

Post by Mike Kirney » Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:32 am

Ten tons of fertilizer and aluminum powder burning at once - I like it. I want one. Do you suppose it detonates or does it perform a gigantic deflagration? By the way... Larry where are you? We haven't seen your handle on here for a couple of weeks now. Have you tested Maggie Muggs yet?

Hank
Antipspambot question: 0

BOMBZ

Post by Hank » Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:48 am

Hello- The test in question was cancelled due to weather conditions, so they said.

This 22,000 lb. firework is the largest conventional bomb in Sam's arsenal.
It is satellite guided.

Try tossing a few (very few) grains of Magnesium or Aluminium powder down the exaust tract of your Jam Jar as constructed ala' Jetzilla.
You will rapidly be aware of the reason the stuff is used in ordnance.

Hank

Mark

Re: BOMBZ

Post by Mark » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:17 am

Hank wrote:Hello- The test in question was cancelled due to weather conditions, so they said.

This 22,000 lb. firework is the largest conventional bomb in Sam's arsenal.
It is satellite guided.

Try tossing a few (very few) grains of Magnesium or Aluminium powder down the exaust tract of your Jam Jar as constructed ala' Jetzilla.
You will rapidly be aware of the reason the stuff is used in ordnance.

Hank
For a really fun metal powder, try zirconium. http://www.corrosionsolutions.com/pages ... ds/301.htm
Read the unusual fire and explosion hazard a little way down the page. Water and CO2 are not something you can use to put it out.
Mark